Physical inactivity is the fourth leading underlying cause of mortality (behind high blood pressure, tobacco use, and high blood sugar) (1).
The benefits of physical activity include: muscular strength, flexibility, agility, increased bone density (2), improved immune function, stabilized insulin levels, healthy weight, lowers anxiety (3), depression (4) and stress hormones (cortisol) (5), increases endorphins and opiates (feel good hormones) (6), resilience, and longevity (slows telomere erosion) (7).
Physical activity reduces pro-inflammatory cytokines (8), which lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease, stroke, hypertension, cancers (colon, breast, endometrial, lung), type 2 diabetes, obesity, metabolic syndrome, depression & anxiety, osteoporosis, chronic lower back pain, and osteoarthritis pain (9).
It is recommended that children, ages 5-17, perform 60 minutes of physical activity each day. Adult, 18 and over, are recommended to move 150 minutes each week (9).
1. Mortality and burden of disease attributable to selected major risks. 2009. Available from: https://www.who.int/healthinfo/global_burden_disease/GlobalHealthRisks_report_full.pdf
2. Garber CE, Blissmer B, Deschenes MR, Franklin BA, Lamonte MJ, Lee I-M, et al. Quantity and Quality of Exercise for Developing and Maintaining Cardiorespiratory, Musculoskeletal, and Neuromotor Fitness in Apparently Healthy Adults. Med Sci Sport Exerc. 2011 Jul;43(7):1334–59.
3. Herring MP, Lindheimer JB, O’Connor PJ. The Effects of Exercise Training on Anxiety. Am J Lifestyle Med. 2014 Nov 6;8(6):388–403.
4. Bailey AP, Hetrick SE, Rosenbaum S, Purcell R, Parker AG. Treating depression with physical activity in adolescents and young adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Psychol Med. 2018 May 10;48(7):1068–83.
5. Hofmann M, Young C, Binz TM, Baumgartner MR, Bauer N. Contact to Nature Benefits Health: Mixed Effectiveness of Different Mechanisms. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;15(1).
6. Harber VJ, Sutton JR. Endorphins and Exercise. Sport Med. 1984;1(2):154–71.
7. Deng W, Cheung ST, Tsao SW, Wang XM, Tiwari AFY. Telomerase activity and its association with psychological stress, mental disorders, lifestyle factors and interventions: A systematic review. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2016 Feb;64:150–63.
8. Walsh NP, Gleeson M, Shephard RJ, Gleeson M, Woods JA, Bishop NC, et al. Position statement. Part one: Immune function and exercise. Exerc Immunol Rev. 2011;17:6–63.
9. Physical Activity Basics | Physical Activity | CDC. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/index.htm?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fphysicalactivity%2Fbasics%2Fpa-health%2Findex.htm
10. Gladwell VF, Brown DK, Wood C, Sandercock GR, Barton JL. The great outdoors: how a green exercise environment can benefit all. Extrem Physiol Med. 2013 Dec 3;2(1):3.
11. Bowler DE, Buyung-Ali LM, Knight TM, Pullin AS. A systematic review of evidence for the added benefits to health of exposure to natural environments. BMC Public Health. 2010 Dec 4;10(1):456.
12. Haluza D, Schönbauer R, Cervinka R. Green perspectives for public health: a narrative review on the physiological effects of experiencing outdoor nature. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2014 May 19;11(5):5445–61.
13. Hartig T, Mitchell R, de Vries S, Frumkin H. Nature and Health. Annu Rev Public Health. 2014 Mar 18;35(1):207–28.
14. Townsend M, Weerasuriya R. Beyond Blue to Green. 2010. Available from: https://www.deakin.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/310747/Beyond-Blue-To-Green-Literature-Review.pdf
15. Prathikanti S, Rivera R, Cochran A, Tungol JG, Fayazmanesh N, Weinmann E. Treating major depression with yoga: A prospective, randomized, controlled pilot trial. Subramanian SK, editor. PLoS One. 2017 Mar 16;12(3):e0173869.
16. Sherman KJ, Cherkin DC, Erro J, Miglioretti DL, Deyo RA. Comparing yoga, exercise, and a self-care book for chronic low back pain: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 2005 Dec 20;143(12):849–56.
17. Tyagi A, Cohen M. Yoga and heart rate variability: A comprehensive review of the literature. Int J Yoga. 2016;9(2):97–113.
18. Chuntharapat S, Petpichetchian W, Hatthakit U. Yoga during pregnancy: Effects on maternal comfort, labor pain and birth outcomes. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2008 May;14(2):105–15.
19. Narendran S, Nagarathna R, Narendran V, Gunasheela S, Nagendra HRR. Efficacy of Yoga on Pregnancy Outcome. J Altern Complement Med. 2005 Apr;11(2):237–44.
20. Pokémon GO | Video Games & Apps. Available from: https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-go/
21. Rehfeld K, Lüders A, Hökelmann A, Lessmann V, Kaufmann J, Brigadski T, et al. Dance training is superior to repetitive physical exercise in inducing brain plasticity in the elderly. PLoS One. 2018;13(7).
22. Resnik DB. Urban sprawl, smart growth, and deliberative democracy. Am J Public Health [Internet]. 2010 Oct [cited 2019 Jun 11];100(10):1852–6. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20724685